Newport Gwent Dragons 17 - 26 Glasgow Warriors

Another gutsy and determined performance from the Dragons at Rodney Parade was not enough to see them over the line against a quality and disciplined Glasgow team, with a late penalty rubbing salt in the wound by robbing the Dragons of even the consolidation of a losing bonus point.

Although the score line slightly flattered the visitors, this was in part due to the missed opportunities by the Dragons to make the most of their territory and possession throughout the game.  A pattern emerged of a fiercely committed Dragons team laying siege to the Glasgow line, and a dropped pass, or soft penalty resulting in them leaving Glasgow territory without any points to show for their effort.

The Dragons dominated majority of statistics at the end of the first half, but some errors in decision making, and inability to take their chances, meant Glasgow had powered into a decent lead.  It was also evident that the home side were continuously falling the wrong side of Referee Andrew Brace's interpretation of the breakdown, with the penalty count as high as 8 to 1 at one stage of the 1st half. 

The second half started in a positive manner, with Sam Hobbs spinning over from close range for his first Dragons try, and then, after a superb offload by Hal Amos, centre Jack Dixon rounding off a barmstorming performance in midfield with a superb finish in the corner.  With Nick Macleod converting from the left touch line, the Dragons were in front at last on the scoreboard, and building some decent momentum. 

This wasn't to last however, with a missed tackle in midfield on prop Alex Allan resulting in him running over untouched from the 22.  This sloppy try took the steam out of the Dragons' comeback, and had noticeable impact on the crowd. 

A far more disciplined and streetwise Glasgow team then saw out the remainder of the game, much to the disappointment of all associated with the Dragons, after yet another brave and commited performance at home.. 


Dragons: Carl Meyer; Pat Howard, Sam Beard, Jack Dixon, Hallam Amos; Nick Macleod, Sarel Pretorius; Sam Hobbs, Rhys Thomas, Brok Harris, Matthew Screech, Rynard Landman, Nick Crosswell, Lewis Evans (capt), Nic Cudd.Replacements; Rhys Buckley, Thomas Davies, Craig Mitchell, Cory Hill, Harrison Keddie, Charlie Davies, Angus O’Brien, Tom Prydie.

Tries: Hobbs, Dixon

Cons: Macleod (2)

Pen: Macleod.

Glasgow: Peter Murchie; Tommy Seymour, Mark Bennett, Alex Dunbar, Rory Hughes; Finn Russell, Henry Pyrgos (co-capt); Alex Allan, Corey Flynn, Sila Puafisi, Rob Harley, Jonny Gray (co-capt), Lewis Wynne, Josh Strauss, Fraser Brown.Replacements: Pat MacArthur, Djustice Sears-Duru, D’arcy Rae, Robert McAlpine, Matt Fagerson, Ali Price, Rory Clegg, Leonardo Sarto.

Tries: Flynn, Allan;

Cons: Russell (2);

Pens: Russell (4)

Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland).